If I register for a trademark in the USA, can someone else register the same name in the UK and still distribute the same item as myself?

Photo of Jan Buza

Written by Jan Buza

Co-founder of Trama

Unfortunately, yes. Trademarks are territorial, and your US trademark protects you only in the US. If you want to extend your legal protection to other countries, you have to apply for a trademark there. Usually, we recommend selecting countries based on where your customers are or where you plan to expand to.

You can consider international trademark registration mechanisms like the Madrid System, which allows you to register in multiple countries simultaneously. Multi-country jurisdictions, such as the EU, allow you to cover more countries with a single application too.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.