Is it our US-registered or UK company that should apply for a trademark in the US?

Photo of Jan Buza

Written by Jan Buza

Co-founder of Trama

If you want to apply for a US trademark yourself without the help of a legal representative, you are allowed to do this under your US company.

Your UK and the US company can both become the owners of your trademark. However, to be able to file the US application yourself, you must have a US-residential address (domicile), or your company must be based in the US (headquarters).

If you wish to file under your UK company, you must hire a US attorney who can file the application on your behalf. In most cases, it is advisable to use the services of an experienced attorney, who can prepare the application on your behalf so that no mistakes are made during the process.

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.