Someone has raised an opposition against my trademark. What shall I do?

Photo of Jan Buza

Written by Jan Buza

Co-founder of Trama

If you received trademark opposition, we would recommend hiring an attorney/law firm to represent you in the proceedings. Your representative can communicate with the other party on your behalf or prepare a defence and represent you before the IP office.

Generally speaking, receiving opposition doesn't automatically mean all is lost. Your next steps may include limiting your list of classes, striking a co-existence agreement, or challenging the opposition.

You can read more about these options in our article What happens if someone opposes my trademark application?

Advice icon

Haven't found what you are looking for?

Our team of experienced trademark attorneys is here to help you! Simply send us an email outlining your request and we'll be happy to assist you.